Sanilac District Library Card Benefits
Sanilac District Library welcomes visitors and has an open door policy. There is no admission charge to enter the building and read our books and magazines. However, if you would like to borrow an item or use our public computers, you must obtain a library card.
All privileges begin with your library card.
Patrons with clean borrowing records who live in SDL’s service area of the CPS School District, Sanilac Township and 25% of Forester Township, have the following benefits:
1. Borrow materials from SDL’s collection of over 40,000 materials
2. Use public access computers at SDL
3. Access ‘My Account’ in SDL’s catalog from home to check the due dates of materials you have borrowed. You may also renew and reserve materials, create reading lists and wish lists. You may choose to receive system generated emails once a week reminding you of materials you have borrowed and when they are due. See instructions to set up ‘My Account’.
4. Borrow materials not owned by our library from participating Michigan libraries through MeLCat. You may do this yourself by clicking on the MelCat icon on SDL’s website, search for the book you want and use your library card to “get this for me”. You may also ask library staff to make your request for you. SDL has been a member of MeLCat since 2005.
5. Your library card is your passport to other libraries. SDL participates in MelCat Visiting Patron Service. This means that our patrons in good standing, who live in SDL’s legal service area, may go to another Michigan library which also participates in the MeLCat Visiting Patron program and check out books in person. Their staff will use your Sanilac District Library card to check out the books to you. You must have a picture ID with you (such as your driver’s license or MI ID) as well as your library card. You may return the books to the lending library yourself or bring them to SDL and we will send them back through the MelCat delivery service. Check out the list of VP participating libraries.
6. Access World Book Encyclopedia Online Reference Center from home 24/7/366. Click on the World Book icon on SDL’s home page and enter your 14 digit library card number.
8. Take part in the Michiagn Activity Pass Program
9. Get a free one day pass to a MI State Park from MI Big Green Gym
Library Cards are REQUIRED
Library cards must be scanned before every transaction in SDL's new circulation system. This has always been library policy but it is now being enforced out of necessity. Verso requires the entire 14 digit barcode. Scanning your library card will ensure accuracy. If your card is lost, a replacement card may be printed for $1.