Book Discussion Group
Invitation To New Book Discussion Group
Monday, January 28 at 6
Share your love of books with others who enjoy reading!
The structure of the club will be established at the first meeting. Attendees will be asked their preferences about the following options:
- Meet the last Monday or Wednesday of the month? At 5:30 or 6 until 7?
- What kind of book club? Literary? A mix of genre’s? A theme per month? Everyone read the same book? A choice of several titles per month?
- Who chooses the books? Library staff? Vote on suggestions from the group? Take turns?
- What do you want to name the group?
- Do you want to purchase your own copies? SDL could place a group order and members pay the library discounted rate in advance.
- Who leads the discussion? Choose one facilitator from the group? Take turns? Library staff? Have everyone bring a question or comment on an index card and then select one or more to discuss?
- Include author information? A short a summary of the book? (Don’t give away the ending!)
Five books were selected for the first meeting. The books are reserved for the group and circulate for one week with no renewal to give as many people as possible an opportunity to read them. Read as many as you want. Even if you don’t read any, come to the meeting! You might be enticed into reading one after listening to the discussion.
- The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
- The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg
- Unbroken: a World War II story of survival, resilience and redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
Please let library staff know if you are interested in joining the group.