How To Use MelCat For Interlibrary Loans
Initiate your own interlibrary loan requests by using the statewide database of library holdings. In order to make requests and borrow materials you must be a resident of our library district and a registered library card holder in good standing at Sanilac District Library. All overdue materials must be returned to the library and all fines paid in order to borrow materials from another library. Materials that are owned by our library may not be requested by our own patrons as an interlibrary loan.
- Access MelCat by clicking on the logo on the Home page.
- Select the search criteria: keyword, author, title or series title.
- Type in the information.
- Click the Find It button
- The next page shows a list of materials matching your request. Click on the title for more info about the material. You may also click on the name of the owning library to visit their library’s website.
- If you want to request a title, click on the checkbox to select the material.
- Click on Get This For Me!
·NOTE: MelCat will not reserve materials. Make sure a material is available before clicking the Get This For Me button. If your requested item is unavailable our library will be notified and we will contact you.
·To check for availability:
·Click on the title of the material. The next page lists the item status.
·An item may not be ordered if the status is Not Requestable or a due date is listed.
·If there are multiple copies of the same item, it may be requested as long as there is at least one available copy.
·If all copies are unavailable, try clicking on the next listing or holding for that same title to check for availability.
·If there are still no copies available try requesting it again on a weekly basis until it is available or contact our library staff for assistance. We may be able to request it from another source nationwide.
- The Requesting Page asks which library card/account do you want to use? Click on the pull-down menu button.. Scroll through the list of libraries and highlight Sanilac District Library.
- Click the Submit Button.
- If you have registered your e-mail address with SDL, an automatic confirmation notice will be sent to you.
- The material will usually be delivered to our library within two to five days.
- Library staff will contact you when the material arrives. Please, pick up your requests as soon as possible so that materials may be returned to the lending library in a timely manner.
Keep track of the materials you have requested from other libraries, check status, due dates and request renewals or cancel the request by using your MyMel account. Click on MyMel Quick Select Sanilac District Library from the pull-down menu, type in your name and your 14 digit Sanilac District Library card number.