Skip to main content

Transcription Notes

The Journals of Light-House Station at Port Sanilac  were transcribed from the original handwritten logs by Sanilac District Library staff. 

  • Volume 1: October 13, 1886 - March 22, 1901: / Richard W. Morris, Keeper and William H. Holmes, Keeper by Cathi Bulone Campbell.   
  • Volume 2: March 23, 1901 - January 31, 1910: William H. Holmes, Keeper by Cathi Bulone Campbell & Judy Willis. 
  • Volume 3: February 1, 1910 to April 17, 1914:  William H. Holmes, Keeper by Beverly Dear and Kimberly Trowhill.
  • Volume 4: April 18, 1914 to June 30, 1918: / William H. Holmes, Keeper by Kimberly Trowhill and Beverly Dear. 
  • Volume 5: Located at the National Archives. 

The capitalization, grammar, punctuation, spelling and symbols are transcribed as in the original document. (Parentheses denote words that could not be deciphered. At times, a best guess was inserted). 

The original lighthouse logs are not available to the public due to their fragile condition. Copies have been made of the volumes,  which are available for viewing at Sanilac District Library. 

 Handwritten information from the inside cover page of the first volume:

The Port Sanilac Light House

Built in the summer of 1886.

Completed and lighted Oct, 2

Richard W. Morris, Keeper

 

William H. Holmes, appointed Keeper

Arrived May 15th, 1893

Succeeded Richard W. Morris, resigned.